Thursday, January 29, 2009

Carrot Cake for Aarif 's 7th Birthday



Today is Aarif's 7th Birthday. I want to bake something different and since lately, I've been thinking about our good friend Biba, who is now living in Abu Dhabi... Yup! That's it then, Carrot Cake!

She used to bake this cake for our gatherings. So much so that it was called "Carrot Cake Biba". I am not the first person to receive this recipe nor am I the first person to bake it within our circle of friends. But yes, I'm the first to feature it online he he he.... sabor ajela...
(Edit : Mala was the first to feature a Carrot Cake on Facebook in her "From Noormala's Kitchen..." Album but it wasn't this particular recipe).

Here's the recipe as posted on Facebook.

CARROT CAKE

2 cups self-raising flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp cinnamon

2 cups brown sugar
3 cups grated carrot
1 cup chopped walnut
1 cup chopped raisins

1 1/2 cups Golden Churn Butter - melted (I used regular butter)
4 eggs - lightly beaten

Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon.
Mix into it sugar, carrot, walnut and raisins. Make sure all are well coated with flour.
Stir in the eggs and then melted butter.
Pour into a loaf tin.
Bake in a pre-heated oven Gas Mark 4, 170C, 350F until cooked.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

100 g cream cheese
50 g butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cup icing sugar

Cream all the above until smooth.
Spread over cooled cake.


Note*

1 - I used the US measuring cup, therefore I ended up with a rather big batch. Big enough to be divided into 2 loaf tins. However, since I don't own any, I used the sponge cake tin instead.

2 - I'm sure you are wondering about the baking time. The original recipe didn't say. Just give it about 30-40 minutes then use the cake tester (lidi pon boleh...) It took mine an hour to cook as it was tall and thick.

3. Be warned... this is a very rich, sweet cake. Taste really good but ....SUGAR SHOCK everyone!

Note 2*

1 - As you can see, my frosting's streaking down. The cake was baked the night before and come morning, I realised the butter was still in the fridge and rock hard. The cream cheese wasn't soft enough too. I added a spoonful of milk so that it can be creamed.

2 - I can assure you this wouldn't happen if the recipe is faithfully followed.

Until later....

1 comment: